Every time you “search” for a file in Microsoft Office 365, you’re likely met with a mix of emotions. It can be difficult to find exactly what you want when you want it, which has an impact on your productivity. Despite our best intentions, when we upload files we tend to file it and forget it. How do we yield better results in ECM searches in Office 365? The answer can be found within each user (and in this webinar).
Most users start their searches with a basic enterprise search, which is a simple keyword search over a large section of unstructured or semi-structured data. There are potential frustrating pitfalls with this search, including:
● Receiving too many results to have to sift through
● Receiving results that aren’t relevant to what you’re looking for
● Receiving results that aren’t presented in the best way
Not only are users not getting the information they need in a timely manner, but with more information constantly being generated and stored, sometimes they aren’t getting the information they need at all! This kills employee productivity!
To improve this, understand where each user stands with search and knowledge of software. By defining where your employees are, you can empower them to ask for help, gauge their skill set and help them better understand how to generate better results.
It’s also important to look at the technology employees are using. Their searches must have ‘findability’ — which essentially means how users find the information they need efficiently to get their tasks completed. There are eight key components to ensuring your search has findability:
● Navigation: Understanding where information is
● Enterprise search: The primary interface between the user and the information they seek — it’s the information they know they need, and the information they may not know they need
● Accessibility: Having proper permissions to access the needed information
● Information architecture: How users organize content, and how they structure and organize meta-data
● User experience: Making sure the system is ergonomic and simple to use
● User interaction: Understanding employees use the data they find
● User profile and persona: Understanding users and their jobs
● Machine learning: Ensuring the system can produce decisions and suggestions about what should be surfaced
The missing link between people and technology is vision, also called governance. This is the process of management and regulation of people and technology. This enhances findability and lets you bridge the gap between people and technology.
Does attempting ECM searches in Office 365 have you feeling overwhelmed? We have solutions. Watch our webinar to learn how to review the configuration of your search environment so you’re working effectively.